Tuesday 27 January 2009


Back in September when I was a very new minister (unlike now), I mentioned that I was struggling with people's perceptions of a person wearing a clerical collar (see The Collar). I left it with the question, 'so do I persevere with this collar or do I bow to public opinion?'
Well, I'm still not sure what to do. There are times when my churches expect me to wear it, but what of people outside the church? I was talking someone recently who was a little surprised that I would consider not wearing it. 'After all, you do represent the presence of God in the community...don't you?' At this point, a skip load of theology came into my head. You know, the priesthood of all believers and all of that. Supposing all those professing to follow Jesus considered themselves as the presence of God in the community. I think that would make a much bigger difference than my plastic collar. The Methodist Church certainly believes that we all have our part to play. The Methodist Worship Book states, 'All Christians are called through their Baptism and by the hearing of God's word to ministry and service among the whole people of God and in the life of the church and in the life of the world'. So can I take it off? Not yet...

No comments: