Thursday 18 September 2008

The Collar


When I was a policeman, a collar was something quite different. Being a young policeman meant the more collars you had, the better you were and I was quite good at getting them. However, arresting people soon lost its appeal and I got promoted. I felt very proud walking down the street looking at the stripes on my arm in the reflection of Tesco's window. So you can see that wearing a uniform is not new to me. Armed with my 20 years experience of uniform wearing, I went into Holmfirth this week - complete with traditional black shirt and dog collar. Hmm. 'Something not quite right here' I thought; it's like they know I was a policeman. People didn't want to catch my eye. They looked the other way in the shops and even stepped into the road and one woman seemed to try to walk on the white lines in the middle so that I could pass on the pavement unhindered. 'Hmm' I thought again, 'must be an armed robber behind me'. Nope, just me on the pavement and a woman behaving as if I was an anthrax carrier. If I have made the move from him who locks you up to him who helps to set you free, why don't people know? So, do I persevere with this collar or do I bow to public opinion?

No comments: