Friday 31 October 2008

The Canaanite woman



This preaching thing has really got to me. So much in fact that I abandoned the assignment I was going to do for college and instead I''ll do this one; 'Critically analyse the role of preaching in contemporary society'. Hopefully I'll do justice to my feelings on this.

However, I am still preaching. Last time I preached it was from Matt 15:21-28 the Canaanite (Syro-Phoenician) woman. I have grown to truly love this narrative - not so much for what Jesus teaches in it but for what Jesus learns and is confronted by. I mention this sermon (albeit briefly) because of what happened to me afterwards, and I will post that soon.

This nameless woman lays at Jesus feet a number of contradictions and asks that he deal with them. First Jesus is in enemy territory and an enemy approaches God incarnate (what sort of enemy can God have?). Then she cries out, 'Lord, Son of David' two phrases which don't go together - the Gentile name for Jesus (Lord) and the Jewish name (Son of David). At this stage these are in contradiction but soon to be reconciled. Third, she throws down in desperation the problem of heaven and hell. She appeals to the Lord (heaven) that her daughter is demon-possessed (hell). It's like she is saying, these two cannot exist side by side. The fourth contradiction she asks Jesus to resolve is how can you be be on a mission to Jews alone when I am here with my heart of faith?

And then Jesus stops...the silence is deafening and it's as if he asks the rhetorical question (I don't think he is talking to the woman or the disciples - perhaps to the other two members of the Trinity but that's conjecture!).

When I preached this, I said that Jesus has a choice - 'do I stick to the plan/programme or do I listen to this woman's breaking heart of faith?' It's a seminal moment and a forerunner to Pentecost and Acts 10 with Peter and Cornelius.

I rounded off the sermon but won't do here 'cos that's your job! However, it's one thing preaching about something but when it directly affects you the next day, God's at work. I'll let a few days pass before I post more on this...

No comments: