Saturday 25 October 2008

I don't need God, but then again...


I've just been talking to a friend about being a good person and what that might mean; we didn't talk for long about it! I was wondering whether we spend time thinking about this or whether we just get on with life and not worry about it too much any more. The pace of life is fast and many of us don't have time (or give ourselves time) to think about how others might see us or what we might really be like. I've just finished Douglas Coupland's Life After God which I thoroughly recommend. He takes you on an adventure and you are an invited voyeur into his life's journey so far. Almost at the very end of the book he says this,
'Now - here is my secret: I tell it to you with an openness of heart that I doubt I shall ever achieve again, so I pray that you are in a quiet room as you hear these words. My secret is that I need God - that I am sick and I can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem to be capable of giving: to help me be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond being able to love'.
I am told the picture here is genuine - that these workmen really did cement themselves into a corner. How long will it be before they try to find a way out?

No comments: