Saturday 13 June 2009

How much do we change?


Some years ago I was preparing a sermon when I saw a kestrel swoop down and take a small bird. At that time I felt it was significant for the congregation and I remember saying, 'something like that doesn't just happen when you are preparing a sermon. What is God saying to us...?' Yesterday, I was going over a sermon for one of my services on Sunday when I saw in my garden a kestrel come down and take a small sparrow. It landed ten feet away from me and killed the sparrow. It stood on it for about 30 seconds before flying away. It was a bitter-sweet moment for me because I have been encouraging birds into the garden for ten months and this sparrow was probably one that I have cared for and put out (expensive) seeds and mealworms for. Now it was being killed right in front of me. I was caught between scaring off the kestrel and rescuing the fluffy sparrow or letting the kestrel feed its chicks. In the end, I let the kestrel have its meal and was left with the wonderful feeling of having been so close to a beautiful hawk. Not once did I feel this was a spiritual moment that needed to be relayed to the congregation.
So I am left wondering how much does our relationship with God/spirituality change over time? I'm not sure and right now I don't want to look too hard. It may be that we are changing for the better or we might be too busy to consider where God is.

No comments: