Wednesday 25 February 2009

Ash Wednesday


I've just come back from an Ash Wednesday service. I have never been to one before and expected it to be the normal type of service 'from the book' but today was different. Earlier, I was looking for material for our Good Friday services and watched a short episode of Dr Who. It made me cry - crikey! What's the matter with me? Then during the service this evening I was overcome with a flash of comprehension of just what Jesus did for me. It was quite shocking, and I cried again. Carefully and thoughtfully I eagerly said the words in the book, '...you create us from the dust of the earth. Let these ashes be for us a sign of our repentance and a symbol of our mortality. May we always remember that by your grace alone we are given eternal life...' I've stopped crying now.

No comments: