Wednesday 17 December 2008

Another Christmas thought



As I settle down to being a minister (noun),I am discovering what it means to minister (verb). I have either taken or been part of so many services that I am sick of my own voice. Last Sunday, after my fourth service that day I didn't want to speak another word - ever. Which reminded me of Zechariah. Luke tells it so benignly, 'They realised he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak' (Lk 1:22). Why didn't Zechariah just write in the sand? (probably because there might be too many parallels with John 8). Well, whatever the reason he tried to tell those waiting outside, but how do you communicate that an angel from God has told you a miracle will happen and your old wife is going to fall pregnant but without any words? It struck me that although Jesus is the light of the world sometimes we still can only see gestures and certainly not the full story - a bit like a prophet playing charades with us but using a language we don't know. Even at this time of year with a clear message about salvation, we still need faith. There's no substitute.

No comments: